After spending 6 days camping, I was relieved to get back into a hotel. I think I showered 5 times within the first two days in Atlanta! My first full day in town, I met Kyle and Elisa for dinner. I stayed in Buckhead, so we planned to go somewhere around my hotel. Everything looked completely different in Buckhead, since the last time I'd been to the area. In fact, they have practically flattened everything! I guess they are trying to rebuild the area and put newer, nicer shops, restaurants and bars around to boost appeal. I had one heck of a time figuring out my way around! Kyle, Elisa and I went to a restaurant called, the Golden Buddha. It was one of those hibachi places, where they cook the food right in front of you. We had a lot of fun. It was so good to catch up with them and hang out on a random Tuesday night.
Wednesday evening, I went to this place that had Salsa dancing with some of my crew. I am not a huge fan of it, but Sunie and Pedro danced all night long. Its something about the music that I just can't get into... So they danced and I hung around and watched. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely entertaining to watch all different types of people come together to salsa dance. There is a lot to appreciate about that style of dance...its just not my thing.
The next day, I went to a local yoga class. In 2001, a teacher named Gina Minyard hosted the John Friend workshop my mom and I attended. Since that workshop, Gina has become one of the most skilled Anusara teachers on John's staff. I had to track her down and finally take one of her classes, now that I was back in her home town. She teaches all over the city, but the class I attended was at a studio called, Atlanta Yoga Shala. The day I went to class happened to be September 11, so needless to say, the theme was a bit emotional. It was nice to be in an Anusara class on this day, because Gina reminded us that through the Anusara philosophy (which is based on a tantric approach), you can find the good in everything... even those acts of violence that seem unbearable. May seem like an odd thing to say, if you aren't familiar or used to this way of thinking... but, it is true. If you believe there is evil in this world we live in, you will just see more evil. If you believe that wrong-doing or harmful acts are just a sign of ignorance, you will also be able to identify the divine nature in all beings. Needless to say, this is a teaching that takes a lot of practice and dedication to fully understand... but fortunately, my Anusara studies have helped me embrace this way of life. I am full-heartedly grateful for my teachers who have led me down this path. Gina's class was a perfect reminder of the precise technique and heart-centered mentality of the yoga I love, Anusara. After class, I stopped Kyle and Elisa's to see their new house. It was nice to be at a comfortable home with family, rather than back at my hotel room, like most evenings on tour.
Friday was the first day of our event at the Atlanta Arts Festival. It was HOT HOT HOT! We were positioned in a somewhat strange location, so foot traffic was lacking that first night. I was ok with that, though, because I am not so sure many people would have interest in doing a physical practice in that heat. After work, I met up with Tommy and Kelly at the local Irish pub, Fado. As we pulled up in the Kashi-mobile, Sargent Tommy directed us to park right up front, by the "no parking" sign. Ahhh, the perks of being related to the top-dog at the Atlanta Police Department. In case you don't already know, he's a pretty big deal :) Even though Tommy was on duty, we were able to sit down and catch up for a bit. It was a fun night out in the ATL.
Saturday and Sunday were as busy as can be at the event. I was glad to see people find their way to our area to check out what we had to offer. All my classes were pretty full, throughout the rest of the weekend. I was very happy to be able to direct people Gina's way, when people inquired about a local studio. I always like to be able to send people in the right direction, when looking to start a yoga practice after their free classes with Kashi. Knowing that I was sending people to Gina, a very highly trained Anusara teacher, felt pretty good. Hopefully, she got some good leads out of it... its the least I could do to show my appreciation for her as a teacher.
Since Kyle was out of town on a guy's trip Saturday night, Elisa and I went out for some wine and apps at this cute little place called, The Grape. It was good to sit down and relax, just the two of us. Its not very often that the we get to spend time together, one on one. We talked, laughed, ate and laughed some more :) Its times like this that make me cherish my time with out-of-town family, but also makes me miss them even more. Sunday afternoon, Tommy, Kelly and Elisa came up to my event to see the Kashi crew in action. We were able to sneak off for lunch together, over my break. That night, I stopped by to hang out with Tommy and Kelly at their super cool loft. We just sat around and talked. I loved catching up with them and knowing more about their lives together. It was so much fun to hang out with my family, like I lived there or something.
As you can tell, seeing my cousins was the highlight of my time in Atlanta. It was nice to spend time with them in the city they call "home." They are all doing so well, living happy lives. After being with out-of-town family, I am reminded of how important it is to go visit them more often. With family, you get to pick up right where you left off... every time you meet again. I am so thankful for our stop in Atlanta and my time with my cousins, I can't wait to visit again soon!
Next stop, Charlotte!
Elisa, Kyle and me at the Golden Buddha
Sunie, getting her groove on at tongue and groove
Atlanta Yoga Shala - Great Studio!
my cousin Tommy, the top-dog cop in the ATL :)
Kelly, Tommy and upside down Brige
lunch at Mellow Mushroom with my cousins
2 comments:
It was absolutely wonderful seeing you. You are right when you see your family after a while and you sit back down with them it is like you started back where you last left off. Kelly and I are so proud of you and what you are doing with the Kashi people. You have a great group of friends/coworkers. Please make sure to have fun, take in this experiance, live it to the fullest, and be safe (this is the cop in me talking). Again we had a blast seeing you and we miss you very much. Love always your biggest fan,
Sergeant Tommy Uhlis
Atlanta Police Department
:)
Brige,
It was wonderful that you had a good time with your Hot Alanta relatives - my Kids....You all turned out pretty good we are proud of our crew.
Thanks for the pix, I wish you were going to be there Oct. 4th.
All my Love, A. Connie
Post a Comment