As soon as we laid eyes on the beach, Sunie and I decided to change hotels so we could be right on the water. It was too beautiful not to be right in the heart of it all. We arrived a few days before our event and got to play around on the beach for a bit before "work" begun. The most amazing part of the entire week in Va Beach was watching the sunrise, daily. It was truly breathtaking. I had never been to an east coast beach, so I had no idea what I was in for at sunrise. Every morning, I literally opened my eyes to the navy blue ocean water crashing in as the sun took flight. It was incredible! Sunrise was around 6:30 am, so (needless to say) we got an early start every day. It was peaceful & calming, yet invigorating to watch each day unfold. I have seen my fair share of beautiful sunsets out west, but nothing takes the cake like an east coast sunrise. Nature at its best, for sure!
Our event was so much fun. Like I said, we were set up on the beach right by the main stage for the competition. We made friends with the PA for the competition, so they announced my yoga class times all day. Classes were full. Everyone was extremely excited to hop on a mat and do some yoga on the beach. Surfers young and old, families and groups of friends - everyone was into it. In many other cities, I get the excuse about not being dressed for yoga or not wanting to get down on a mat... not here! Everyone at this event was dressed for the beach and ready to play. Definitely the first time I taught yoga class in my bikini! I could get used to that :)
After the event, Sunie and I decided to hang around for a few more days, rather than heading to Ohio with the rest of our crew. Man, were we glad we did! The rest of the week really felt like a vacation. We hung out at the beach all day and went out for dinner and drinks at night. Most evenings ended with an ice cream cone from the infamous Kohrs Bros. ice cream shop. It was too good to be true. Every time we met people and they asked us what we were doing in Va Beach, we almost felt guilty saying, "work." Our jobs are so cool, sometimes it seems like we are making up what we do for a living! Its hard to believe teaching yoga on the beach and then hanging out on the beach all week is actually my job :) We were out and about almost every night and ended up meeting some really great people, along the way. In such a social atmosphere with gorgeous surroundings, everyone is happy and friendly all the time. The positive nature was almost contagious! I liked that about Va Beach...
Unfortunately, there were not many great yoga studios in the area. Most yoga classes were held at local gyms and such. Its hard to know where to go, unless I am seeking out a specific teacher. After such an intense week working with Mitchel in CT, I was content to just play around on my own for a few days. I messed around with a little headstand chicken from time to time - doing headstand, facing the ocean, right where the water meets the sand to see how long you can hold it before the water hits your face! Stupid, I know...but fun. Most of my practice all week was more playful, than serious. It was a good change of pace. Sunie practices yoga too, so the two of us had fun trying yoga tricks on the beach :)
As you have probably noticed, this tour keeps getting better and better. I am sure I have already said this a million times, but I just keep counting my lucky stars. It is so cool to be in a different city every week and seeing things from a different perspective each time. I am really quite amazed at how much I am learning, on this tour. Va Beach was pretty great. I already look back on that week with very fond memories...
Don't get me wrong, I do miss you all back home! Please continue to write and call. I LOVE to hear what's going on back home. Enjoy the last bit of summer!
XOXO,
B



No comments:
Post a Comment