Tuesday, September 9, 2008

pit stop in cleveland


After a week of bliss on the beach... we made our way to Cleveland.   Interesting adjustment, that's for sure!  Going from an east coast beach to a Midwest city is not the easiest transition to make in a matter of hours.  The food is different, the people are different... heck, it may as well be in a completely different country!

Our time in Cleveland was short-lived.  In fact, in order to pack in a few more days at the beach, we didn't get to Cleveland until just before set up. Don't get me wrong... I am sure there are many great things about Cleveland, but since it was sandwiched between Va Beach and camping in West Virginia, our time there was minimal.  We pretty much worked, ate and slept... that's about it!

Our event was the Taste of Cleveland - which you may have guessed is centered around food, cheap beer and music.   Surprisingly enough, Cleveland is known for the infamous "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame".  Needless to say, there are a lot of rock fans in Cleveland.  There were bands of all ages and genres of rock.  Some were great, some not so pleasant.  We were positioned right next to a stage, which made it somewhat difficult to teach yoga.  My classes started off slow, but picked up throughout the weekend.  Most people were pretty skeptical about trying yoga... in fact, most people were scared to even walk close to my area.  I guess they thought I might make them bend in half or something.  I always tell people, the yoga classes I teach are offered, not required.  I am there to expose people to yoga who are interested or curious.  Not to force anything on anyone uninterested.  I did have a few classes full of experienced yogis, which was fun.  I got to teach with the playful approach I am used to back home and lead the students to soar in their own practice.  That part was great!

Although most people I encountered were not really into yoga, those who were regular practicing yogis showed great interest.  Its crazy to me how many people I meet on the road who express the need for good yoga instructors in their area.   It always amazes me.  There are so many great yoga teachers in this country, yet they seem to be in the same concentrated areas.  Sometimes I wish I could just plop some of the best teachers in those areas for a few months to jump start their yoga communities.  Its hard to want to practice and learn, while searching for your teacher.  I have been there...

As far as the rest of my experience in Cleveland, it was mostly tied up with fun and games among our crew.  We seem to have fun anywhere, with anyone, so it doesn't really matter what city we are in.  One night, we found our way to a yummy Mediterranean restaurant for dinner.  Another night, we decided to wind down at a place called the Winking Lizard.  We sampled all kinds of fun specialty beers.  The rest of our time was spent working.  That's about all I've got on Cleveland...

Our crew is at an interesting point on tour... we are well past the half-way point and have to start thinking about what lies ahead, post tour.  Where to live, what car to buy, how to get back into a routine...  We are all doing our best to live day by day and keep enjoying our time as a crew out on the road.  Its hard, though... its human nature to wonder what comes next.  People are starting to ask if we are ready to be home or if we are sick of traveling yet... but, the truth is, we all love where we are and what we do on this tour.  Thus far, my experience on the road has been eye-opening on so many levels.  I have no intention of cutting that short by focusing on what's next.  I miss my family and my friends back home, for sure... but since this tour has a start and end date, it makes being away a bit easier.  I think it would feel different if I had moved somewhere else to start a new life in a different city...but, that's not the case.  I am going to continue to work hard to focus on living in the moment, enjoying each breath, each and every day.  I am coming home in November and looking forward to being home, but its not November yet :)  

Stay tuned...my next blog will be full of fun stories and pictures from camping at the blue grass festival in West Virginia!  It is sure to make up for my lack of interesting content on Cleveland :)


pedro and I lounging in my tent before the event


sunie and I doing our daily head stands


teaching pedro a trick or two


hanging with our local staff after the event

No comments: