I can hardly write about my time in North Carolina, after such an exciting week to follow. I guess that's what I get for falling behind on my blog!
North Carolina was a lot of fun. A few months back, I noticed that our tour stopped in North Carolina the same week Xavier Rudd played in Asheville. Lucky for us, Asheville is only 2 hours away from our event location, Charlotte. The concert was on Tuesday, so we drove to Asheville for the night to see Xavier rock the didgeridoo :) Pedro and Sunie had never listened to his music, prior to this tour, so I was excited for them to get hooked by his live performance. I had never seen him live either, but I knew it would be quite the treat...and it was!
Xavier Rudd is from Australia, so his tour only makes a few stops in the US. My brother and Ellen first discovered him at Bonnaroo a few years back, and we've all been admirers ever since. In fact, he is the reason I even know what a didgeridoo is! He is one talented musician. One of my favorite aspects of his music are the lyrics. His music supports his lifestyle, his passions outside of the usual relationship talk and drama. He writes about nature, taking care of ourselves and the earth. He has a way of making a point, without complaining. I like his positive outlook. He uses his fame and talents to his advantage to make a difference in this world. Aside from the lyric aspect, the dude is an amazing musician. He plays a few string instruments, 3-4 didgeridoos, sings, plays some percussion and some how pulls it off with a grin on his face. The only other person in his band is a drummer - who plays a full set. You can listen to his recordings and appreciate his talent because everything is so flawlessly put together to compose each song...but, once you see him live and realize that almost every instrument is played by one single person, you are just blown away. Needless to say, this concert was the highlight of my time in North Carolina.
The next day, we took off toward Charlotte. We had an afternoon to rest, before set up the next morning. This was a 4 day event, so we knew we had a long, hot, road ahead. I never realized how hot it is this time of year in the south! At times, it felt almost unbearable! We made it through, though. The event was fun. We were pretty busy, most of the time. We were set up on grass, in the middle of the festival. This festival was pretty much just like any other, they are all starting to run together, at this point. Most of my classes were pretty full, except mid-afternoons, when the heat was pretty unbearable. On the last day of the event, there were people doing yoga far beyond my tent. People were packed in, all trying to learn something new. It was a blast to teach so many people at once! I loved it...
So, as you can see, most of our time in Charlotte was spent working. Since we spent time in Asheville early in the week, once we got to Charlotte, it was time for the event. That was fine with me, though. I love Asheville. I was eager to scoot right out of Charlotte after the event on Sunday because I was off for a week of Anusara Yoga at Estes Park. Now, that was something to be excited about!!!
I can't wait to post the next blog about my week in Colorado. In fact, keep an eye out...it will probably be up in a day or two :)
Xavier Rudd on the didge in Asheville, NC
Singing his heart out...
taking a nap on the ride to Charlotte
Sunie and I chomping away at the festival
No comments:
Post a Comment