There has been a reoccurring theme in my life over the past few weeks...flying.
In San Diego, I met an Acro Yogi. We played around after one of my classes, during the event. If you are not familiar with this type of yoga, you practice with at least one other person. Google it for more info and pictures - it's pretty cool. Anyway, I had never done Acro Yoga, but have been curious for quite some time. My new friend offered to teach me a bit - and I got to "fly." It was a blast! At first I felt a little uneasy - being that people were everywhere and I was the Kashi Yoga Instructor, trying something new in front of everyone. But, only a few poses deep, i was having a lot of fun. It was very cool. I look forward to learning more about Acro Yoga. I posted a few pics below...


Then, onto flying in Santa Monica... our event was on the Pier. The first day of our event, I made friends with some folks that just opened a trapeze school at the other end of the pier. They offered to let me take a few complimentary "swings." Since they had just opened that weekend, I think they just wanted people on the trapeze to help create excitement. Fine by me, because I LOVED it. I crawled up on the ladder, 23 feet in the air. They clip you into a harness, similar to what you wear rock climbing. I figured between yoga and climbing, the flying trapeze would come naturally. Plus, it looked pretty thrilling.
When I got to the platform, I was told to stand with my toes hanging off the edge, reach with one hand for the bar on the swing and the other hand holding me onto the platform. They held my harness from the back to keep me from falling forward right away. They told me they would count to 3 and then say "hep." When I heard "hep", they would let go and I was to take a small hop and FLY! We did that a few times, then was ready for more... so i did a knee hang - pulling my knees up over the bar and letting go with my hands, leaving me swinging upside down. After mastering the knee hang, I was ready to do a catch. Yep, just like that episode of Sex and the City :) It was awesome. I figured as long as I stayed calm, paid attention and listened to their calls, it would be fine. When it was time to reach my hands out for the other person across from me (the owner of the school), I decided to just go for it. I figured if I didn't go for it the first time, i would freak myself out.
So there i was, 20 feet up, gripping the wrists of a perfect stranger, swinging over the Santa Monica Pier in mid air. It was awesome! I wish I had pics to post, but I was by myself on my lunch break. There were reporters there video tapping - so when i get the link to the story, i will post it on here for sure. Check out their web site, www.losangeles.trapezeschool.com. They have schools all over the country. Watch out, after the Kashi tour, I just might be joining the circus ;)
Next, onto Vegas baby, Vegas! We arrived Monday evening. Dia and I went for a walk down the famous Vegas Strip, exploring this crazy place best known as "Sin City." That place is insane! The lights are as bright as can be, the casinos are painted in advertisements and people can be found crawling in and out of the casinos everywhere. Lots of interesting people watching, that's for sure.
The next day, I went to an advanced Anusara class with Karen Lane. She came highly recommended from my teacher, Jamie Allison, so I had to check her out. Hardest class of my life! It was also one of the most fun classes of my life, though. I learned some really cool tricks, that's for sure. There was one point during class that I thought I was going to die... but after I moved past that feeling, I had a blast. The theme was Carpe Diem, which was an amazing fit for me at the time. It is good to challenge yourself, I just had to keep reminding myself of that :)
Also while in Vegas, I went to the Cirque Du Soleil show, called KA (www.mgmgrand.com/ka). Back to that flying theme I was talking about. Wow, is all I can say. There were people flying all over the place during the show. This particular show, "KA" was especially interesting because the entire show was performed on a rotating stage. When I say rotating, I mean up and down, side to side and VERTICAL! there were points during the performance where they were running up a vertical stage. Craziness. They are amazing performers, that's for sure. Definitely glad I saw my first Cirque Du Soleil show in Vegas. It was my favorite part of that trip.
After a few days of Sin City, I was ready to go. I am back in California for the week - Newport Beach. This weekend's event is at a Jazz Festival. I am very happy to be back by the beach, where I can see the sun rise and set and have an unlimited source of fresh air :) Much more my style...
So what does all this flying mean, after all? Well, in my interpretation, flying means letting go. Being free. Trusting the source...and yourself. "Flying" over the past few weeks has taught me a lot. And, I am sure there is a lot more to learn! I know one thing, I am definitely looking forward to the next opportunity to fly :)
Much love and hugs to all!
B
2 comments:
Wow! Looks and sounds like you are having a blast! Looking forward to catching up with you at some point on your journey. Thanks for the postings. It is great to hear from you. Take care. -Ranae
Hi Brigette! Aimee here(short hair) from Yogasource teacher training. We've moved to Seattle and I want to stop in and say hi when you are here in June - where will you be? Looks like you are having an awesome adventure!
Post a Comment