After the long haul from Boulder, we finally arrived in San Francisco on a Wed. afternoon. I was especially excited to get there, because my mom met me in San Francisco! It was so good to see her. We are only about 2 months into the tour, but it felt like forever since I have seen my family. You have to understand, when I am in St. Louis, I see my family several times a week (at least). Living 30-45 minutes away never seems to keep us from hanging out all the time. Now that I am on tour, we are a plane ride away!
My family means the world to me and I am super close to each of them, so seeing my mom made me feel at home...even though I am miles and miles away. My mom carries so much warmth and love with her everywhere she goes. To have her come visit made me feel close to my whole family again. She is one amazing woman. Not sure how I got so lucky to have my mom, dad, Tim and Ellen in my life....it's pretty amazing that there are 4 people on this planet as wonderful as each one of them. They are 4 of a kind, that's for sure!
Since my mom and I had both been to San Francisco before, we decided to keep a pretty open schedule and just bum around. We laughed, talked, shopped, got lost walking the streets, ate, drank fancy drinks and shopped some more - true Dawn and Brigette fashion. It was a blast. On Thursday, we got pedicures and in the morning, then got all dolled up for dinner and a movie. We went to at 12:01 am show to see the Sex And The City movie premier. We were so girly that day - it was great. We had a blast!
Friday, we had our usual breakfast at the infamous Sears Diner (across from our hotel), then hung out at Fisherman's Warf for a bit. We picked up some sourdough bread to munch on, then some saltwater taffy, then stopped for some real food on Hyde Street just before dinner time. After 3 attempts to ride a cable car (jam-packed with camera-holding tourists), we finally made the cut. We were so exhausted from our midnight movie the night before, so we turned in early Friday night.
The event that week was the Union Street Festival on Saturday and Sunday. Although the weather was a little chilly, we had a great event. Lots of people we very eager to jump on a yoga mat and give it a shot. I usually have volunteers help out from a local yoga studio, but since my mom was in town, I didn't schedule anyone. It was a lot of fun to co-teach throughout the day. Having my mom there reminded me how different it is to teach true beginners all the time. Most people I encounter on this tour are very beginner level. Maybe even pre-beginner, if there were such a thing. Whatever comes out of the teacher's mouth, they do. Whatever actions the teacher takes, they follow. I guess I am used to that, now, but it was funny to realize that after she pointed it out. It's like a game of simon says, sometimes. I am learning a lot about my teaching style and words I use, teaching fresh beginners. They hang onto your every word. Teaching yoga to the "average joe" can be a pretty powerful thing. It's cool to see the transformation happening right before your very eyes :)
Sunday morning, my mom left town. It was so good to spend time with her and felt so "normal" to have her around, that I didn't even really think about the fact that she was leaving. My last day in San Francisco was a little odd... I got a lot of work done and went to a great yoga class, but I was certainly wishing my partner in crime was still around. Thanks for the visit, Mom. You are the best.
Next stop, Portland! I am looking forward to exploring the city, seeing another old college buddy and working with another great Anusara instructor, there. Onto the next adventure!
p.s. I added some new locations/dates for the second leg of the tour - just got an update last week! Take a look at the schedule to the left...
1 comment:
Looks like you're having a great time! I'm so happy your mom forwarded your blog. Enjoy...I will hope to try to meet you on your tour somewhere!
Jen T
Post a Comment