Just so you know...I am playing country music, while writing this blog. I am in Seattle now, which is a very different than Idaho, so the music puts me back in an Idaho-state-of-mind to write about my experience in true form :)
Last week, we spent the week in Emmett, Idaho. Considering the first month on tour we were mostly in California, then Colorado, then Portland... Idaho was quite the change of scenery! As we drove in, I noticed there was a lot more open space and room to breathe, then what we had experienced in the past few cities. Not better or worse, just very different. When you enter "the country" something happens... you experience some sort of familiarity, even if you've never been there. There is a certain sense of simplicity about the scenery and a freshness to the air. Everywhere you look, the fields are full of horses, cows, lakes, and crops. The homes are sweet, not too big or small. Mother Nature is growing everywhere around you.
When we got to our hotel, there wasn't much activity around us. The event we were working was about 15-20 miles from where we were staying. This event was called the Emmett Cherry Festival. It is the event of the year in Emmett! Our first day working, we met all sorts of people. Everyone was friendly and excited to learn about Kashi and how to live a healthier lifestyle. Most people we encountered weren't familiar with yoga and didn't know much about our products...so, we taught them. Lots of young kids were interested in yoga and lots of parents were interested in learning how to cook with fresh, healthier, foods. At first we were unsure why we were placed at this event in this part of Idaho. As time went on, we were all grateful to be in Emmett. Such a sweetness to this small town. It was nice to be around so many warm people, eager to learn. In fact, it's experiences like this that remind me why I took this job - to spread the joy of yoga and experience this country we live in, from coast to coast. Bouncing around from city to city is nice, but being out in the country is nice, too!
In addition to our local staff hired to work this event, we made lots of great friends with other folks working the event. A very nice man set up to our left was kind enough to let us take a shot at riding his mechanical bull. I couldn't stop cracking up, it was a blast. Even getting thrown off was fun, for some reason. I sure thought I was a real cow girl, after that! Then, there was the family in front of us with a portable rock climbing wall and a trampoline slingshot ride. I had a blast doing flip after flip in mid-air on the tramp. As you can see, I had my fair share of fun at the Cherry Festival! Sometimes, I can't tell if this job of mine is more work or play... maybe somewhere in between.
Combining the beautiful simplicity of the country, the friendly people of Emmett, and the crazy fun activities in between, my time in Idaho was very much appreciated. In fact, leaving town was somewhat bittersweet. Maybe there is a little more country girl inside Brigette Niedringhaus then i realized :)
2 comments:
Brigette,
We stumbled onto your blog and are
amazed by your adventures. We'll
continue to follow you on your journey.
Waters and Schie at Old DU.
Brig!
You definitely are in training for that circus act you mentioned after flying on the trapeze! How much more fun can you have while playing while you work and travel? Take care! Aunt Jan
Post a Comment